Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sometimes, organizing can be fun

Yesterday was a quiet morning, but busy afternoon. At two p.m. I motored over the hill to meet with a disgruntled group of artists at a non-union animation house; they feel abused and want to organize. Forty people showed up; which is a good crowd. I have driven to meetings where I’ve waited around and nobody has materialized. These folks are interested and engaged, and pretty ticked off. They say the company is making promises and then not following through. Handed out lots or representation cards, lots of flyers. The questions asked are intelligent and specific: what are their rights? What do they do about unkept promises? Sexual harassment? I give lots of specific answers. The meeting breaks up as the sun goes down. I drive home thinking “this will go somewhere.” Time will tell.

0 comments:

Site Meter